Monday, March 23, 2015

March 22, 2015-What is Family?

Last weekend I was in Chicago for a conference and I was away from my family. The fortunate thing was that I was kept busy most of the three days I was away because I missed Bev and the kids pretty much all the rest of the time. If you've never been there, Chicago has a lot to offer for someone out of town. What I found though was that the little bit of sightseeing I did do, dinners and a trip to The Field Museum, I was wishing one or more of my family members was there to share it with me.

Family is important to me and most other people. My Dad's current status and the one year anniversary of my Mom's passing next month, along with several other things recently have brought the importance of family to the forefront of my thought.

What is a family?
-When it is traced back, there is no known beginning of our exact linneage other than what is taught in the Old Testament. Even science offers no precise answers!
-When extended family is considered there is no foreseable end. Family has, for the most part, always been and will always be.

Family then, for most of us in our time here on Earth, has its foundation somewhere in our tree as a husband and a wife joined in marriage to become one flesh as described in Genesis 2:24, (This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one. (‭Genesis‬ ‭2‬:‭24‬ NLT))

But defining family is not that simple, today we see families of many different types and children as beloved members of families that are not biologically theirs. Jesus offered us some insight to this question throughout the New Testament. But in Matthew 12:46-50 He defines our "heavenly family."

(As Jesus was speaking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, asking to speak to him. Someone told Jesus, “Your mother and your brothers are standing outside, and they want to speak to you.” Jesus asked, “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?” Then he pointed to his disciples and said, “Look, these are my mother and brothers. Anyone who does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother!” (‭Matthew‬ ‭12‬:‭46-50‬ NLT))

Our heavenly bond as a family of believers is again described and confirmed in John 1:12-13, (But to all who believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God. They are reborn—not with a physical birth resulting from human passion or plan, but a birth that comes from God. (‭John‬ ‭1‬:‭12-13‬ NLT))

This is the family that we came from and the family that we will return to. This is the family that has always existed and always will exist. This is the family that describes our relationship as a "church family" and the many other close relationships we build in this life. Everyone then is a potential family member.

Did this make my time in Chicago a more pleasurable "Family Time?" No, but it does make me feel better to know that my heavenly Father is always present and that I am always near my heavenly family when I share time with other believers.

As we break bread and share this Holy Communion, let us remember Jesus' words as he spoke to his Disciples in the upper room. They did not understand the meaning of Jesus' words, as many of us do not fully understand God's message to us today. (As they were eating, Jesus took some bread and blessed it. Then he broke it in pieces and gave it to the disciples, saying, “Take this and eat it, for this is my body.” (‭Matthew‬ ‭26‬:‭26‬ NLT))

For anyone who is not familiar with our ceremony, we will partake of the bread as it is passed then hold the cup for a prayer.

May we bow our heads for a prayer for the loaf?

No comments:

Post a Comment