Monday, March 23, 2015

October 12, 2014-Worldly vs. Heavenly

Today I would like for you to reference one of Bev and my favorite hymns. Turn in your hymnal to #204 please. The chorus of this song summarizes my message beautifully.

We are all making our way through this world searching for truth and praying that God will lead us through our worldly trials. Every day we deal with worldly things.

Have you ever realized that you were receiving a mixed message?
Something you were unsure of because there were two different messages?
Often we get one message from the world and another from God. I am reminded of this as I read through the bible.

There are so many discrepencies between the world and the scripture, and as you read through them it becomes very clear that God's kingdom is not of this world. What He is and what he wants us to become is very different from what we coninuously see and hear from the world around us.

These are just a few of the examples I have found, but there are so many more!

The world tells us to "suck-it-up, be tough and endure."
While scripture encourages us to turn to God for help.
"As for me, I look to the LORD for help. I wait confidently for God to save me, and my God will certainly hear me." (‭Micah‬ ‭7‬:‭7‬ NLT)

The world tells us "He who dies with the most toys, wins."
Scripture repeatedly tells us that our worldly possessions will not follow us to heaven but in fact, may make it more difficult to get there.
From Mark 10:21-25 As Jesus was speaking to the rich man.
Looking at the man, Jesus felt genuine love for him. “There is still one thing you haven’t done,” he told him. “Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” At this the man’s face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions. Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the Kingdom of God!” This amazed them. But Jesus said again, “Dear children, it is very hard to enter the Kingdom of God. In fact, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!”

I have tried to break myself of the word "worry" but the world is full of worry.
The bible tells us repeatedly not to worry, one good verse that reminds us of this is Phillipians 4:6 "Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done."

Have you ever heard someone say, "I am not looking forward to today." or "It is an awful day."
God reminds us with scripture in Psalms 118:24 "This is the day the LORD has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it."

As Jesus was having His last supper with the disciples in the upper room, he spoke to them of His body and His blood. They did not understand because they too were wrapped up in the worldy things of life. As we partake of these emblems let us remember the sacrifice made for us so that we may escape the bonds of this world and enter into the kingdom of heaven.

On the night when he was betrayed, the Lord Jesus took some bread and gave thanks to God for it. Then he broke it in pieces and said, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this to remember me.” In the same way, he took the cup of wine after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant between God and his people—an agreement confirmed with my blood. Do this to remember me as often as you drink it.” For every time you eat this bread and drink this cup, you are announcing the Lord’s death until he comes again. (‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭11‬:‭23-26‬ NLT)

May we bow our heads in a word for the loaf?





No comments:

Post a Comment